This week, I went out to the area around Bastrop, TX; the second time I went out there to paint. The first time was last year, and I didn't get to paint anything that day, because I (of course) chose to drive in that direction the day the major wildfires started . This time, I drove through Bastrop State Park, and saw nothing I felt like trying to paint. I wasn't in the mood to paint blackened stumps, so I gave up and was heading for home when I saw this broken down stable, with some hills way off in the distance. I'm always drawn to those rusted metal roofs.
I went back out to McKinney Falls State Park while there is still hope of catching some wildflowers in bloom. We're getting to the tail end of the season, and Texas is starting to get really hot. I wandered around taking photos until I saw this hill. It's not the view I thought I would go back to paint, but this was fun.
McKinney Falls Wildflowers 12x9"
You can still find some nice blooms at the park. Here are a few of the flowers I saw today.
Today, Saturday, I went out to McKinney Falls State Park, where I took a bunch of photos and painted at the remains of the homestead. I didn't have a lot of time to spend, so I just did this one 8x10" study.
McKinney Falls Homestead, 8x10"
As I was leaving, I came across a really nice field of wildflowers and a mostly dead tree, which would make a great subject if I can get back out to the park on Sunday.
On Saturday morning, I went out with painting buddy Jimmy Longacre to a new gated subdivision in Johnson City, called The Preserve at Walnut Springs. It's a beautiful 2000+ acre hill country ranch being subdivided into 66 non-contiguous 5-7 acre parcels, with 1500 acres to remain undeveloped. What's really nice about painting there is that they cleared out all the cedar and left stands of native oaks. It was definitely worth the 45 minute drive from my house.
We both did 3 studies: a 2 hour 9x12, a one hour 6x8, and another 2 hour 9x12. Here are mine.
2012-04-07 Walnut Springs 1
2012-04-07 Walnut Springs 2
In reality, the main tree in the 2nd painting was pretty boxy, but the painting emphasized it too much, I think. The main problem is the even distance from the top and side. To fix that, I should have let it go out past the edges of the canvas.