Friday, April 19, 2013

MANCHESTER ENGLAND

I recently made a trip to Manchester, England on business. My company, Powerhouse Animation, made a pilot episode of an animated version of the HUGELY successful live action TV show Mrs Brown's Boys. One of my business partners, Bruce Tinnin, and I were flown by BOCPix to screen the pilot to people from the BBC and Universal. We met the cast and crew in Manchester, where they were performing a series of sold-out shows of the stage version of the show.

Frank and Bruce with Brendan O'Carroll as Mrs. Brown
After the show, Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Brown) mentioned to the audience that we were there.



To backtrack slightly, we had an 8 hour layover in Newark, NJ, which gave me some time to break in the new 12 pan travel set of watercolors and moleskine watercolor sketchbook.

Newark Airport
I also did some quick ink sketches of the people and surroundings in another sketchbook.
Newark Airport

 We were put up in a two bedroom apartment. This was the view from the window, drawn with brown ink and a water brush.
Down Hanover Street
Corner of Shudehill and Hanover
We spent a few evenings in Waxy O'Connor's Pub with some of the members of the cast, drinking Guinness and drawing in our sketchbooks. This is the best I could do after more Guinness passed through my system than at any time since I was at college. A terrific bunch of guys, and I hope to see them soon. One morning we took a train to Liverpool, and just about froze while painting along the Mersey after visiting the Cavern Club. Then it was back to Manchester and the pub.

On the train from Liverpool to Manchester
Pepsi, Bugsy and Mike signed my drawings of them
Waxy O'Connor's Pub customers
On Saturday, we took the tram to Heaton Park, where we painted until just before it started to rain.

Heaton Park


photo by Bruce Tinnin

No comments:

Post a Comment